Monday, September 23, 2019

Day One 2019/2010 Season

From an email, and subject to editing:

Hard to beat this for Cisco's first outing in his fifteenth season. It was too warm, temperatures in the eighties. His 46 hour, net body weight was 925 grams, easily an ounce and a half over my eventual target. I took him to Terry Hershey Park, a frequent venue for my hawks in the early season. We rarely catch here. Farrah took a swamp rabbit a month or so after Harvey, and Cisco's taken a squirrel or two, one of which locked into his lower mandible but was out of my  range. Today Cisco was responsive, if pretty nervous, dabbled with a squirrel, panted in the heat and we had a number of good tree and ground flights to bits of day old chicken. I fed him three. Afterwards he crashed into his hawk box ready to head home. You can see his preseason bell on his right tarsus. It's dampened while at house so it doesn't clang in his ear when he scratches. Later, I'll tail-clip mount a tiny Jim Ince bell and free up his legs completely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment