Friday, October 4, 2019

First Pre-Season Squirrel


"Too warm, too humid, too fat, and too much cover. I forgot to inform the team." A text I sent to a friend in Baton Rouge.

We got out about 8:00 am. His weight earlier was 948 including clunky bell, Luksander LF-4 and Marshall TrackPack. This is a net body weight of about 927, definitely heavy especially in the heat. Target will eventually be 895/874, two ounces away. It was muggy and my googles frequently fogged up. Cisco spent some time in-tree weathering, then started to follow on which is not always a good thing when squirrel hawking.

There didn't seem to be a lot of squirrels; Cisco found one and it escaped. It was really hard to see him. In the same general direction he found another and forced it up into some smaller branches. Arnold may have been helping too. Cisco made his move and caught a squirrel high up. You can't see him but he's roughly in the middle of the picture. He had lost a string of squirrels going back to last season, so I held my breath. Also I tied up the dog. Soon I could see the squirrel's tail hanging limp. I got out a chicken and called him down and he glided across the path. He's always happy to trade off squirrels.

A good day. Here's a quick video: 





Hawk and squirrel somewhere in middle of picture

Cisco is generous for a Red-tail

A few minutes earlier, Cisco eating a
chicken with squirrel behind him

No comments:

Post a Comment