Monday, November 4, 2019

May you live in interesting times....

Today was different. 

Cisco was at an excellent weight by my new criterion, 888 grams. We went near the park to chase squirrels and he was on it. Arnold flushed a squirrel and Cisco had it and dropped down, but got caught just above where I could reach. He apparently had it well under control, but it took off. After that, Cisco was content to sit on the fist as we walked around a bit.

I cast him off and he found another squirrel in a tree right by the creek. I had the thought that Cisco might end up in the creek, something that has never happened in more than a decade. Cisco soon grabbed that second squirrel and parachuted to the ground with it. Then it was loose and he recaptured it. Then loose again, it dove into the creek with Cisco's following. There was my Red-tail, floating like a lily pad, perfectly calm, looking up at me as he drifted off. I went into the creek; the water was three feet deep just by the bank. I reached out and grabbed Cisco's wing, pulling him toward me. Then under his legs and feet, I pushed him up the bank. 

I am now concerned about Cisco's ability to catch squirrels. In general, I expected to catch a squirrel every outing, never doubling for hawk safety and squirrel preservation. Starting at the very end of his previous (and best) season and continuing into this one, Cisco caught about a dozen squirrels with all but two escaping. Now I expect them to escape, and am not sure what to do about it. If we had plenty of rabbits, I'd hunt him in the open fields more. He's a good rabbit hawk. Farrah took herself off squirrels, and I wonder if Cisco is doing the same.....

Post Hunt: A Wet Hawk w/ Bloody Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment