Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Yesterday and Today Redux - Cisco's Third Squirrel and Farrah Catches

Today started out poorly. They were cutting trees in the first spot we went and the noise was awful. It was warm. The hawk has been on a streak of missing squirrels i.e. they have escaped after capture. Cisco's right front talon is not super sharp. I trimmed it back in the molt because it was overgrown, expecting it to be OK sooner. I fed him yesterday, his off-feed day because he's been losing squirrels at the lower weights. 936 was weight at house before we left. Deceptive because there was food in his gut.

We walked to the woodlot across the street. Cisco went to work, but with the leaves still in trees it was hard to see much. Arnold the dog did well; usual these days. I decided to knock off at 1100, with roughly an hour and a half hunt. Cisco waited until 1100 to parachute from the tree with his third squirrel. I gave him a large crop (never a gorge) so we'll see what his two empty day weight is Friday.

Yesterday Farrah had a good day in Rosenberg. Monday I spent some time getting her old Luksander XLF-3 transmitter ready, and installed a tail clip. I left the transmitter on the table in my living room. Not only that, but I had no bell. The last time I flew a Harris's without telemetry, I lost Dart for three days..... Since I'm not that bright, I hawked anyway. She caught  a game bird, and a couple of rodents. By the time we were heading back to truck, she had a crop. I was glad we didn't flush a rail. She carries those to some trees about seventy yards off. She's hard enough to locate even with transmitter.




No comments:

Post a Comment